Saturday, March 3, 2012

Scrambled Egg Muffin



Once again, the season of Lent is upon us. The main thing I struggle with is the No-Meat-Fridays because I  don't like fish at all, except for canned tuna. And lately, I've been trying to come up with new ideas for breakfast because I've been trying to avoid anything fried since February.

And so, one late morning I found myself really hungry. My first idea was to have some eggs, sunny side up, but then I remembered no fried foods. So the next idea that came to my mind was to bake them using a method I had seen in a few food magazines.

Here's what I had available in the kitchen:

SCRAMBLED EGG MUFFIN: Makes 2 servings

Equipment:
Regular Muffin Pans

Ingredients:
Butter
2 large eggs, scrambled
2 slices of bread
Any type of cheese (I used Parmesan and Cheddar)
Salt and pepper, to taste

The first step is to butter the muffin pans and preheat your oven to 300F. Even if you're using non-stick pans, it would still be better to put some butter so that any egg that will seep through the bread won't taste like rubber. The best way is to melt some butter and brush it onto the muffin pan. Keep some extra butter for the bread.



Next step would be to place a slice of bread onto the muffin pans. I made a mistake of trying to fit the bread into the pan, which resulted to a few holes in the bread. So I suggest that each slice be cut in half first, and each piece be put be placed on top of one another with just a little overlapping. This will make sure that there is some bread to absorb the egg mixture later.

 


Once you have the slices of bread in place, brush the remaining melted butter onto the bread.



Then take the scrambled eggs, add some salt and pepper to you liking, mix well and pour equally onto the muffin pans. If your egg mixture seeps through or runs to the sides of the bread, don't worry since it will all come together when cooked.

 


Sprinkle on as much cheese as you like on top of your egg mixture.



Place pans into preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Eggs should be pale yellow and bread should be toasted, not burnt. Let them cool for 3-5 minutes, then remove from pan and serve.



Feel free to add some meat or veggies to the egg mixture, such as slices of pepperoni, hungarian sausages, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, etc.

Happy eating!

No comments: