Saturday, March 10, 2012

Oreo Cheesecake for Savers



A few weeks ago, I had to make sample cake pops for my friend Vero. Sadly, while I was baking the cake, our gas oven ran out of gas, and when I tried to use our turbo cooker, some of the cake batter spilled. 

But silly me, I still thought I could make the cake pops, and so, after mixing in a can of frosting (I know, I know, I should have lessened the amount), I ended up with a moist cake-frosting mix which I couldn't make into cake pops anymore. 

But it would be such a waste to just through the whole thing away, so I came up with a brilliant idea (well, in my opinion it was). The cake-frosting mixture was moist, but still cakey enough to make into a crust. And since my sister had been bugging me to make her some Oreo cheesecake, I decided to turn this mess into one.

Don't worry, I don't recommend making the crust out of failed cake-frosting mixture, so I still made the recipe with the proper Oreo crust.

Here's what you'll be needing:

OREO CHEESECAKE FOR SAVERS: Makes 1 pie

Equipment:
Non-stick square pan (8x8)

Ingredients:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
150 g all-purpose cream
150 ml condensed milk
4 packs of Oreo cookies, crushed
1 stick unsalted butter

Melt unsalted butter in the microwave for 20 seconds. Make sure butter is not too hot. Mix the butter with two packs of the crushed Oreo cookies. 

Once cookies and butter have been well mixed, press onto your pan and set aside in the fridge.

In a pot over medium heat, put in cream cheese, cream and condensed milk. Mix until cream cheese is almost broken down with the cream and milk. Personally, I like having little bits of cream cheese in my cheesecake. This took me about 20-30 minutes.

Take cream cheese mixture off heat and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes. Pour mixture over crust and leave to cool in fridge overnight. 




When I made this, I made the mistake of pouring two batches worth of cheesecake mixture into one pan. so we ended up with a really thick cheesecake. But I guess it was good since my brothers were fighting over who got the last slice. ^_^

Happy eating!



No comments: